Here are my top top 10 baking soda uses
1. Exfoliate skin: Wash your face, then apply a soft paste made of three parts baking soda and one part water. Massage gently avoiding the eye area. Rinse clean.
2. Refrigerator deodorizer: Place an open box in the back of the fridge. It will absorb nasty odours.
3. Unclog a drain: Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda down the drain, then slowly pour 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar after it. Let sit for five minutes. Follow with a litre of boiling water.
4. Toilet cleaner/deodorizer: Add a cup of baking soda into the toilet, leave it for 30 minutes, then flush. It will clean the toilet squeaky clean and absorb the odour.
5. Scrub pans: Sprinkle baking soda on crusted pans and let sit for five minutes. Lightly scrub and rinse.
6. Relieve diaper rash: Put two Tbsp of baking soda in your baby’s bathwater to help relieve diaper rash.
7. Cleanse hair: Sprinkle 1Tbsp baking soda into your palm along with your favorite shampoo. Shampoo as usual and rinse thoroughly. Baking soda helps remove nasty residue that styling products leave behind.
8. Remove odour from carpets: Sprinkle baking soda on the carpet. Let set overnight, or as long as possible. Sweep up the larger amounts of baking soda, and vacuum up the rest.
9. Feet soak: Soak tired feet in a basin of warm water with 3 Tbsp baking soda.
10. Fruit and vege scrub: A safe way to clean dirt and pesticides off fruit and veges. Just sprinkle a little on a clean damp sponge, scrub and rinse.
- A commonly available mineral full of many cleaning attributes, baking soda is made from soda ash, and is slightly alkaline (it’s pH is around 8.1; 7 is neutral). It neutralizes acid-based odors in water, and absorbs odours from the air.